Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Shed Foundation Level with Grade?

Posted by ammonihah99 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 11 at 18:29

I am in the process of planning a 12 x 16 shed and need some help with the foundation.

First issue is money, I don't have any, so I can't pour a slab, it's got to be on concrete piers or treated skids (or sleds, runners or sleepers, whatever you call them). What I would really like though is to build it so that the foundation isn't raised up six inches off the ground. Is this possible?

I live in Phoenix, so it's pretty dry. Would it be asking for too much trouble if I just built the floor frame of treated 2 x 6s and set them directly on a bed of two or three inches of gravel? If foundation stability is an issue, I could include some buried concrete blocks in the gravel.

I was hoping the gravel would be enough for drainage (when it happens to be one of the 10 days a year it DOES rain) and the joists would be enough for critters to keep out. (My brother had a cat die under his shed a few years back, that was NASTY.)

I just really don't like to look of raised sheds with a gaping hole underneath, but if I must, I must. Guess I could throw on a lattice skirt . . .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Shed Foundation Level with Grade?

"I live in Phoenix, so it's pretty dry. "

Until it rains.

A grade level foundation when you build is not likely to stay there over time (very few structures rise over time, except maybe a basement in Florida).
That would make your shed a low point, and water WILL find it.

o
RE: Wood Shed Foundation Level with Grade?

Hello ammonihah99! A wooden shed of that size definitely needs a proper foundation. Check with your local building codes to see if there is specific information about the requirements in your area (contact your county Building Manager or codes office). The ordinances may determine what you need to do. Best wishes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here