Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garage door opener installation concern

Posted by bagel (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 07 at 18:14

Our master bedroom is above our garage and the floor joists are supported by two large beams which come down about 14" from the ceiling in the garage. Unfortunately, there is only about 1" of clearance between the bottom of one of these beams and the top of the open garage door.

The opener requires about 3" of space above the top of the open door to allow for the rail. I'm no structural expert, but I doubt it would be terribly wise to cut a notch out of the beam. Even if there were no problems, I would expect complaints by an inspector if I went to sell the house. Does anyone have any advise on how I can install an opener and still leave the support beam intact? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garage door opener installation concern

Here is something you might consider. I have no personal experience with this particular opener but I recommend the manufacturer highly. You should be able to call any Liftmaster dealer in the yellow pages for more help.

http://www.liftmaster.com/cw/product_model/0,1064,uid-iWuAbmFkamplZQ==_1497-id-233,00.html

o
RE: garage door opener installation concern

I am assuming you don't have low headroom track installed. I did not check the link Don has provided you with but, if I had to guess he is recommending the residential jack shaft which is an excellent opener but is expensive. Another thing that would work is installing quick turn brackets on the top section. The brackets themselves are about 40 bucks and you would have to buy two more rollers which cost a couple bucks. They would take the place of your top fixtures that are currently on the door and are fairly easy to install. They would give you enough room to install the opener as well. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here