Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

need quick help re: new garage door for good price?

dirtymartini
14 years ago

this is a cross post! I am also going to post this on the "home decorating" forum.

We planned on getting a new garage door "in the future." We just purchased a 70's style ranch that needs lots of renovating (read: lots of $$$). Well, our old garage door (solid wood, very heavy, but rotting in some spots) took a dump! :) My DH tried his best, but the tracks are all messed up and it is no longer even usable...we need a new one.

(sidebar: we live in south FL...high humidity, certain restrictions due wind/hurricanes etc.)

Went to LOWE'S today and found a carriage style (wayne dalton "ashburn" style, insulated...about $2500 with my DH installing it himself) but feel guilty spending this much when we could get a "decent" door (read: plain) for about $1200.

Thing is...this is our HOUSE for the next 15-20 years. I don't want to skimp...i want something pretty and with curb appeal. Also, the garage is a main focal point of our house. If it was a side garage, or if our house was so big the garage was negligible, I would maybe feel diffently.

I have googled and google...can't find comparisons! Do you have any tips or tricks? Can I order online (since my DH will install it himself?) I am not committed to Wayne Dalton brand, I am just using that as a point of refernce.

Remember, at Lowe's we can stretch out our payments for 12 months at zero interest (this is a surprise purchase, so we would like that) plus we have a 10% off coupon, so all of that comes into play.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (3)