Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door from house to garage--can it swing out?

Posted by hddana (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 16:36

We were wondering if code is going to allow us to swing the door from the house into the garage out into the garage to save space in a tight utility room?

We know the door has to be fire rated and have a closer, but it sure would be good if it could open out not in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door from house to garage--can it swing out?

Mine opens out, but code in my area doesn't require a closer. Maybe ask a local inspector?

o

In most jurisdictions the door may swing out if the floor on the outside is at the same level or if a minimum size landing is provided. The minimum size of the landing would be determined by your local code.

o

There is usually nothing wrong with the door opening out. Just remember, if someone can get into you garage, they can remove the hinge pins from an outward opening door because they are exposed to the outside. I have a couple of doors that open to the outside of the house and I had to put lock pins in the hinge pins to keep them from being removed. If I want the door off, I have to remove the whole hinge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here