Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage door fires up automatically

Posted by rickbrowne (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 16:12

My old Craftsman Garage door opener (model #139.53615SR) is opening the door at odd times of the day and night by itself. I've changed the battery in the remote, but that hasn't stopped the problem. We have to lock the door now so if it fires up in the middle of the night it won't open, but of course every time we want to open it we have to manually unlock it first. Thought of changing the code on the remote and garage unit but can't find any switch panel in the unit iself or on the wall switch to do so, on the remote it's easy a panel slides away and I can change the dip switches easily. Can you help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage door fires up automatically

The most common cause of this is a bad wall control or the wiring going to it. Remove the wall control and disconnect the wiring to the back to eliminate the wall control. You can eliminate both possibilities by disconnecting the wire going to terminal #1 on the back of the motor unit.

o

The DIP switches for changing the code should be on the rear of the motor unit, beside the up/down force adjustments.
It can also be that something else in your area is using the same radio frequency that your remote control does and is triggering your door. Most GDOs work on a government-preserved frequency, making them susceptable to interference, though your transmitter isn't powerful enough to interfere with their equipment.

o

If you have an old dip switch unit it might be time to upgrade to a rolling code unit.

There are only 256 combinations on the octal dip switch units, and they can be scanned through in just a few seconds to open the door.

The rolling code is the same thing used on cars now, and is very secure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here