Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help: Door Opener suddenly not working

Posted by joan_mm (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 25, 09 at 15:36

We have a Craftsmen 1/2hp door opener...it is a few years old, I'm guessing about 3-5. The garage door, however is 30+ yrs old.

Yesterday - everything was fine. Push button, door goes up and/or down....exactly as it has always worked.

Since then: Nothing breaks as far as we can see or hear, no electrical storms, wind, earthquake, etc. No evidence of power surges in rest of the house. And yet...

Today - is a different story.
First noticed the door was up about 3" off the floor. Used remote opener and door went down, hit ground and then returned to 3" off the ground. That's not right...but maybe remote need a battery? Try the hardwired panel: Same results.

Disconnected door from opener. Door drops to floor.

Manually open door - can't see any problems other than it is HEAVY. Returned door to ground.

Used panel again - 1st push makes trolley moves to open position, 2nd push makes it move to closed position.

I read the manual, but it does not address actually problem solving the opener after you have it installed, only potential installation issues.

Somewhere in this process we noticed the lights (2) on the opener do not work - either with the open button or with the lights button. Not sure if it is related to anything or not - but is a second priority after fixing the door.

Now what? Any help with problem solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help: Door Opener suddenly not working

After more looking I found one of the springs is broken. I did not even realize those things were springs until reading about the troubles someone else had on here.

I am going to assume that is the problem and get it fixed, then go from there.

o
RE: Help: Door Opener suddenly not working

You found the problem.
If the door is HEAVY, it means the springs are not doing their job. Either broken or out of adjustment.
The door should be in balance with the springs with the bottom of the door about waist to chest height and the trolly disconnected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here