Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenjh_gw

how to wire garage door sensors ?

kenjh
13 years ago

No manuel for craftsman model 139-18850.Which sensor wires,

#two white two black go to which screws on back of opener,

there are 3 #1 red #2 white #3 black ? Wall switch works red to #1 & white to #2.

Comments (14)

• kenjh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANKS DAN TRIED THAT BUT NO LUCK. MY SON HAD TRIED EARLIER & HE CONNECTED THE WHITES TO #1 RED TERMINAL & I THINK HE MAY HAVE FRIED THE BOARD! ANYWAY TO CHECK THE BOARD?

• don_1_2006
    13 years ago

There is no way to check the board other than replacement. What is the problem with the opener? Is it working at all?

• kenjh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi don.Press wall switch door will open to close must hold switch on until it is closed.Car remote no longer works!

• don_1_2006
    13 years ago

If when you try to close the door the main light flashes 10 times when the door reverses it is a door sensor problem. Make sure the sensors are pointed at one another and that the small light on each one is lit and not flickering ever so slightly. If you cannot get both lights to come on you have a bad sensor.

• kenjh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Don Looking out the door left sensor green light on
    right sensor no light so I now assume sensor is kaput
    but only way is to buy a new one then hope we haven't
    also fried the board.

• judyg_2010
    13 years ago

I have a similar problem with the contacts on one of the sensors on a Craftmans garage door opener (about 17 years old). Today I opened it fine when I tried to close it, no go. I wiggled the wires and the light went off & on, but would not stay on. Narrowed it down to the contacts on the sensor. I pulled it out and cleaned contacts gently with a toothbrush. Still no go. still light comes on & off when wiggling the contacts at the base of the sensor. Do I need new contacts or the whole sensor box? anything else I can try? I am pretty good at fixing stuff my self. Unemployed and don't have money to pay Sears to fix. tks, Judy

• Dprove1034_aol_com
    12 years ago

Hi, I noticed that my Garage Door did not have any Sensors. I bought a set of retro-fit sensors and wired them and am ready to hook-up to opener ( Sear Best Craftsman Door opener at least 20 yrs old). However, the opener has a 4-wire set-up ( so does the wall mounted opener ). I joined the sensor wires ( 2 sets together ) and I'm not sure how to do the connection at Door Opener. There is a Red / White / Black & Yellow hook-up and I have a White and white-black from sensors.

Can someone please help?
    Thanks, Dino Pro

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

Your opener was made long before door sensors were even thought of. You should invest in a new state of the art opener. Whoever sold you "retro-fit" sensors is a snake salesman.

• DinoPro
    12 years ago

Don, that being said.....can sensors still be hooked up to an old school door opener? Wiring as described from last post?

DP

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

No the opener has to be designed for sensors. When they first came out with safety sensors they had a kit to upgrade the previous model but that was long after yours was built and there never was a kit for yours. Just to give you an idea your keypad for outside the garage door was hardwired. Those days are gone and the newer models are much safer.

• bobowal
    7 years ago

what about a mode l41a3621 sears craftsman with the same back on door opener

• PRO
    Master's Touch Remodeling & Repair Services
    6 years ago

I have the same part number 41a3621, did you ever figure out how to wire the safety beam up?

• Teri Kauterman
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

There is a Red, Green, Black & Yellow hook-up and I have a White and red from sensors what goes to what? Everything worked fine until I had the trim around the garage doors replaced and something got bumped. Please help.