Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 liftmaster openers died - no motor sound, no lights

Posted by homeowner7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 15:29

Hi I have two LiftMaster garage door openers on my 2-car garage (openers are about 10-year old, it's the age of the house). They died a week ago simultaneously. I left the house in the morning when I closed the doors using the remote on my car, when I got home at night, they both died. Now when I try to access it through either the wall panel, or remotes, there is only a "click" sound on the unit, no motor action, and the lights on the openers (two 75-watt light on each opener) are dead too.

The indicators on both unit flash 5 times, which seem to indicate either motor overheat or RPM sensor problem. Pulled the plug for an hour and connected back, nothing changes.

I'm looking for advices... what could be wrong, and how to troubleshoot them... I know that there is probably no good news at this point :(

- Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 liftmaster openers died - no motor sound, no lights

For them both to die at the same time it has got to be electrical storms or a power surge. You are going to have to pull the logic board on each one and check for burnt or missing traces on the printed circuit.

o

I'd suspect a problem with the electrical circuit that they are plugged into (reduced voltage). Try running an extension cord to an outlet that you know is good and give it a try.

o

OK. The problem was fixed a while ago. But I wanted to come back to this thread to put a closure to it so that other people having similar problems may see the resolution.

I ended up replacing logic boards on both units, which fixed the problem. It's a little confusing because the blinking LED (5 times) seemed to indicate a problem with RPM sensor, but since it's completely dead (no light, no motor sound), I reasoned the logic board must be wrong. I ordered 1 board to try it out first - I figured that $70 to troubleshoot the issue may worth it since the service guy I called asked for $80 just to come to look at it, if logic board needs to be replaced, it is $210 per board.

I spent a total of $140 to fix my 2 garage door openers.($70 each, including shipping). BTW, I did spend a little extra and bought 2 LiftMaster Surge Protector 990LM ($25 for 2 include shipping). That should prevent such inconvenience from happening in the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here