Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears garage door opener problem

Posted by mudslide (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 15:26

After a storm on July 4th we noticed the garage door opener (Sears 1/2 hp mod. # 139.53664SRT2) would not work and smelled like something had been burning. After a couple of hours I tried it again and it opened all the way and then it closed about a foot and then opened all the way and stopped. It seemed to be buzzing then and would not work for a while. The smell returned. I tried it again the next day with the exact same result. The same kind of opener on the other door seems to still work fine. Could the problem be the control panel and would it be wise to repair it or replace it? Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears garage door opener problem

From the description of your problem it could be the door sensors or the logic board. You need to weigh the cost of repair against the cost of replacement.

o
RE: Sears garage door opener problem

I just bought a Craftsman remote control. It was not fuctioning at all even though I have programed it following the instrction step by step. However, it looks like the remote control unit was communicating with the garage opener because when I pressed the blue button, the light on the receiver came up, and it went off when I released the button. Anyone can help? Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here