Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with detached garage with sliding doors

Posted by sivalleysteph (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 15:02

We're in the middle of purchasing a house with a detached 2 car garage. We'd like to park in the garage. To do this, we'll need to get automatic garage door openers.

Currently, the garage has two wooden sliding garage doors, so you can open one door at a time.

Should we get automatic openers for the sliding doors?

Alternatively, we could replace with an overhead door. This will be more involved because we'll have to move a beam in the ceiling support, as well as get a new door, tracks, etc.

Do they make automatic openers for sliding doors? Any leads on where to find them? It seems rare.

Also, there is no door to the garage besides the sliding doors. If they are on openers and the openers fail, will we still be able to get into the garage?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with detached garage with sliding doors

Ebay has listings for remote control sliding gate openers that could perhaps be adapted. Ebay may even have purpose made sliding garage door openers.

But first I would search the various overhead door opener companies to see if they also have what you need. Lots of garage door opener brands are named in the headings of the postings here. I suppose they all have websites and you could search those sites.

If the existing doors are in bad shape, maybe a conversion to over head doors would be smart. Along with installing a regular door located where it gives you the quickest route into the house.

o
RE: Help with detached garage with sliding doors

Thanks vancleaveterry!

I found a website where someone had rigged the opener crosswise across the garage ceiling and then attached a post to the garage door, so maybe something like that would work. You don't see too many sliding doors anymore, but there are a bunch of Eichler houses in this area who have the original sliding doors, so we may be able to find an installer.

I think that we are thinking replacing the doors would probably be the best solution , though, and then we'll need to add a door to the garage. $$$. Of course, we also have a gated driveway, so we'll need an opener for that if we want to leave it closed when we're gone.

Our COE is not for another week, so I'll have to wait until then to look closer at the doors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here