Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advice on Garage Door Choices

Posted by Crystal6145 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 14:32

I have settled on an 7 x 16 Amarr garage door. The models I am deciding from are the Heritage 3000 and the Olympus 500.

The Heritage is cheaper by $450, made from 24 gauge steel, 2" thick, but is insulated with polystyrene with an r value of 9.

The Olympus is only 27 gauge steel, also 2" thick, but is insulated with the better polyurethane blowin in with an r value of 19 and has 1 year longer hardware warranty.

My question is "will the polyurethane blown in insulation compensate in strength against dents for the 27 gauge vs. the stronger 24 gauge with the glued in polystyrene?"

I live in a very hot climate where 100 degree days are normal for several months of the year with mild winters, but do not heat/cool my garage and no living quarters above it so r value is important. I read that rvalue 16 is not double of rvalue 8 and is only about an energy savings of 5% so if this is right my main concern is strength and stability.

Thanks for any knowledge you may have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advice on Garage Door Choices

If you don't heat or cool the space, what energy are you 'saving'?
I don't see r value being important here. More insulation slows the migration of heat into or out of a space, but the difference in this situation will not be noticable.

o
RE: Need Advice on Garage Door Choices

No need to go with the higher R-Value core if there is not living space above the garage or if you aren't worried about keeping the garage more temperate.

The standard foam will give you plenty of impact protection and if you hit it hard enough to dent it with EPS, it will dent with polyurethane foam as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here