Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing nonstandard size garage door

Posted by elisabeth_pinelake (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 07 at 14:15

Can anyone give me some advice about options for replacing a 10' wide garage door? It's wood, and falling apart beyond repair, so it has to be replacement. I just started looking at Lowe's and HD for comparison and am told this is not a standard size.

I will contact some independents too - but now I fear this is going to turn into a really big budget problem.

I could check into having the opening narrowed by a foot, but should I talk to the installers about this before hiring a contractor? Lowe's and HD folks weren't interested in talking further once they learned it might not be a standard size (I went home and measured again, but there's no doubt).

Any advice welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing nonstandard size garage door

A ten foot wide door is not uncommon. They are every where. It will cost about $20.00 more than a 9 foot wide door. If anyone is telling you different, they are taking you for a ride. $500-$700 will get you in the ball park depending upon if you want an insulated or non insulated door. It will cost you more to narrow the opening 1 foot. Find someone who knows what they are talking about.

o

Thanks so much! I started pricing doors last year, and I now I told the salesperson then that it was 10' and I didn't get the "we-can't-deal-with-this" story then, so I was suprised when I went back to them last week. I will definitely look for a more knowledgeable sales force.

o

They may not stock 10' doors, but they can certainly order them. Ask to see their vendor catalogs to look at the various styles, colors and qualities.

o

Thanks again. I have been delaying on this because I've dreaded dealing with something I thought would be really difficult. This gives me hope that it will be fairly simple after all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here