Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Garage Door Opener

Posted by stevemgdo (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 07 at 13:55

I have two Craftsmen GDO's, one mfg @ 1988 and the other on/after 1990. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with the new "curly topped" flourscent ones and the older GDO would no longer respond to commands from the remote whenever its lights were on. So, when I opened the door from the remote, I would have to wait for the lights to time out before I could close the door from the remote and vica versa. When I unscrewed the flourescent bulb on the circuit side enough for it to remain off, the GDO would respond to commands from the remote even though the flourescent bulb on the opposite side of the GDO was on. Currently, I have an incandescent bulb in the circuit side and the flourescent in the other. Though these two GDO's are practically identical, the newer one does not have this problem. Does this sound like some type of radio frequency interference? Does anyone know of this problem and a fix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Garage Door Opener

I will guess there is rf interference from the bulb, is it the one closest to the receiver?

o

Yes, Jerry, it is the one closest to the receiver. any ideas on how to fix?

o

It must be the new bulb. Go back to incandescent and see if it doesn't eliminate your problem.

o

OK, replaced flourescent bulb with incandescent - only on the circuit board side (receiver) and it works fine. Now, is there a way to shield the receiver from rfi generated by the flourescent bulb? I first tried wrapping aluminum foil around the porcelain base of the flourescent bulb and connecting it to ground via a short length of wire. The remote then operated the door but only from a very short distance - under 15 feet. That's when I gave up and put the incandescent bulb back in.

o

I don't think you will be able to block the interference. The board is just too close. Maybe try a different florescent bulb there.

o

OK,I'll try to find either a different shaped one or another brand. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here