Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcaji

Garage door motor cycling

mcaji
12 years ago

I have a Sears 1/2HP garage door opener that I replace the worn out plastic gear. When I tested it the motor turn on and then reverses and then stop this happens in about 5 seconds. Anybody knows what is happening? I remember removing the motor and inserting the plastic gear in the motor shaft and then reinstall the motor. Did I screw up in reinstalling the motor in its housing? I hope you guys can help me before I buy a new garage door opener.

Thanks.

Manny

Comments (4)

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If neither of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

• mcaji
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, it's the black cup that I did not install is the culprit. I am just wondering what the black cup do with the motor. Anybody knows?

• don_1_2006
    12 years ago

The black cup interrupts the infra red beam on the printed circuit that sends a pulse to the logic board. Without the pulse the logic board reverses the direction of the door when it is closing. When the door is opening it just stops where ever it is.

• mcaji
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information. Have a wonderful day!!!