Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Door Opener Problems

Posted by macknz (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 13:36

I have 2 Sears openers with no response to the remotes. (We just purchased the home and are unfamiliar with any history as to why this may be happening.) Bought new remotes from Sears. Both the new ones and one of the existing remotes fail to program to the motor units. Following the directions to program them, one is to hold down the remote's button, then the respective button on the opener unit until the indicator light flashes. Indicator light comes on, then off, but fails to flash or blink. (Same status for both openers.) My conclusion is to buy new logic boards and replace, however a failing logic board ...two in the same garage...seems low odds of ever occurring. Further, units are 10 years old and wondering if fixing or replacing is the best tactic. Would you concur with the plan to replace boards or suggest another test? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Door Opener Problems

Try programming this way. Forget all that flashing stuff. Press and hold the button on the remote. Press and immediately release the smart/learn button. If this doesn't program the opener then you have either the wrong remotes or bad logic boards. I wouldn't spend the money on 10 year old units to replace the logic board. It is too easy to DIY new openers. Just follow the instructions step by step in the owners manual and use all the new parts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here