Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
guidance on which garage door to choose

Posted by taliaferro (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 07 at 12:47

Hello.

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice on which garage door to choose. I can't decide between a CHI 4216 (26-gauge exterior and 27-gauge interior steel skins injected with polyurethane insulation. R-value-14)

**************************OR*********************

WAYNE DALTON'S Model 9800 (fiberglass exterior [looks & feels like stained wood] & steel. R-value-7.3)- with a Liftmaster opener, not the problematic i-Drive.

From what I've read (on this forum) and heard (from competitor/dealers), Wayne Dalton has a poor reputation, but I wonder if that is primarily due to the faulty i-Drive opener than the quality of the actual doors.

Aesthetically, I love the look of the 9800, but I am worried that, later on down the line, I might regret choosing the prettier door (which also happens to be much pricier than CHI's premium door) over the high quality door.

In addition to the disputed quality of Wayne Dalton's product, I'm concerned about fading on the fiberglass door. I believe the manufacturer offers a one year warranty against fading. Not much.

The other issue is that this is a fairly new product which hasn't been sufficiently tested in the marketplace by actual consumers. I have made choices on first generation products in the past that have not turned out so well. I don't know if I want to be a guinea pig again.

Finally, the insulating properties are somewhat of a factor as I live on the east coast and I have a room above our garage. Will WD's door with a 7.3 R-value offer sufficient insulating properties.

Anyone think I should steer clear of Wayne Dalton's Model 9800?

Anyone have any feelings one way or the other about CHI?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayne Dalton Model 9800

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: guidance on which garage door to choose

Does anyone have any advice for me? I could sure use it.

o

I was hoping someone would answer your question. I am going to need some doors in a few months myself.

o

I went ahead and purchased the CHI doors (Model 4216). Of course, the available color choices didn't work for me (why do so few garage door manufacturers offer premium steel garage doors in Gray?), but my dealer will send them out to be powdercoated (this service is not affiliated with CHI) in my color choice. This customization does void CHI's warranty on their finish, but I do get a 10 year warranty on the custom color. I'll try to post back after installation is complete.

Good luck vancleaveterry - you'll find that buying garage doors is as difficult as buying a mattress!

o

Sorry I jumped in here so late. The CHI was by far the better choice. I would make sure they put at least two struts on the door. One across the top section and one across the 2nd section if it is a 16 foot wide garage door if it is a single then one strut on the top is fine. I don't know why they don't offer garage doors in more colors, my guess would be that almond, sandstone or taupe, white and brown are the most popular colors of siding or perhaps the most nuetral colors. Garage doors can be painted though. To my knowledge no manufacture is going going to offer a warranty against fading, they do offer warranties that protect against the sections rusting, the paint chipping or peeling beyond normal control though. Good luck with your new door.

o

Thanks so much for the reassurance doorguy! I will telephone my dealer about the struts today.

About the color choices... you would think gray would be a popular choice since it really is a neutral. Ah well.

Take care!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here