Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taliaferro_gw

guidance on which garage door to choose

taliaferro
16 years ago

Hello.

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice on which garage door to choose. I can't decide between a CHI 4216 (26-gauge exterior and 27-gauge interior steel skins injected with polyurethane insulation. R-value-14)

**************************OR*********************

WAYNE DALTON'S Model 9800 (fiberglass exterior [looks & feels like stained wood] & steel. R-value-7.3)- with a Liftmaster opener, not the problematic i-Drive.

From what I've read (on this forum) and heard (from competitor/dealers), Wayne Dalton has a poor reputation, but I wonder if that is primarily due to the faulty i-Drive opener than the quality of the actual doors.

Aesthetically, I love the look of the 9800, but I am worried that, later on down the line, I might regret choosing the prettier door (which also happens to be much pricier than CHI's premium door) over the high quality door.

In addition to the disputed quality of Wayne Dalton's product, I'm concerned about fading on the fiberglass door. I believe the manufacturer offers a one year warranty against fading. Not much.

The other issue is that this is a fairly new product which hasn't been sufficiently tested in the marketplace by actual consumers. I have made choices on first generation products in the past that have not turned out so well. I don't know if I want to be a guinea pig again.

Finally, the insulating properties are somewhat of a factor as I live on the east coast and I have a room above our garage. Will WD's door with a 7.3 R-value offer sufficient insulating properties.

Anyone think I should steer clear of Wayne Dalton's Model 9800?

Anyone have any feelings one way or the other about CHI?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayne Dalton Model 9800

Comments (5)