Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water / Electric / Phone Service to Pole Barn

Posted by jwetzel (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 07 at 11:54

Hello all...I need some opinions...
This fall I'm planning on building a pole barn about 200' from the house. I need to run water, electric, and phone from the house to the barn. My plan is to rent a trencher and dig a 4' deep trench. I will put the water line (1" black plastic) at the bottom, fill in about 12", then drop the electric and phone wires in together and of course fill in the rest of the way.

Does this seem like a good plan? Or should I do it differently? Can the electric and phone line be buried next to each other, or will that cause problems?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Justin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water / Electric / Phone Service to Pole Barn

I don't think it's a good idea. Repairs are certain to be needed at some point and digging for one utility will mean in your case you'd have to turn off the others during a repair that might take days... and of course even worse things could happen.

I don't know about interference from electrical on phone. Maybe someone else knows. Just bury in different trenches and take pics and make a map that shows where everything is buried.

My electrical is in 4' to 5' deep and I'm told the phone will be put in much shallower. I have a well for the water.

o
RE: Water / Electric / Phone Service to Pole Barn

Coontact your local building dept and see what they allow. There are standards for this but I don't remember what they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here