Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricovalium

Better garage door bottom seal?

ricovalium
17 years ago

Because of a foundation issue, the pavers in my driveway are 1/4" higher than the current door seal. This leads to some fun puddles. I was wondering if anyone had an experience or recommendations with one of the following? I'd really like to avoid using the Storm Shield product.

1. Larger bottom stripping. Something that came out 3"+ would be ideal

2. "Bulb seal." Like the second product on this page http://www.sealeze.com/garage.htm

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. THnaks!

Comments (5)

• bas157
    17 years ago

The problem with Option #2.....if you open the door when there is water right outside the door, whatever is pooled up outside may flow right into your garage.

I have kinda the same problem, probably worse though. The PO when they had the driveway paved, didn't have the driveway below the garage door, so some water when it rains drains right into my garage. Gee, thanks for putting that on the sellers disclosure(it was dry every time I looked at the house and had the inspection done)

The rubber threshhold I think is the only thing that would work for me, I've just worried about how well it would hold up to things I roll in and out of the garage like an engine hoist with a V-8 hanging from it.

• ricovalium
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I sucked it up and ordered a Storm Shield-like product. Not perfect, but hopefully it stops most of the problem. Unclear what the lifespan of these things will be.

Have you thought of putting a drain in front?

• bas157
    17 years ago

There was a drain in front of the garage at one point but the PO filled it in for some reason....maybe because there wasn't any place to drain the drain into!
    Also, the concrete slab extends out past the door which is a problem also. Ideally I'd have to dig up the entire driveway, dig it out, and repave it at a lower grade then the garage...that'll cost thousands since the driveway is kinda long.
    If you can, please post a followup about the Stormshield product after you've had some rainfall!
    thanks
    Bruce

• keesha2006
    17 years ago

We installed the rubber threshold about two weeks ago. We have exactly the same issue as you except my driveway goes downhill right into my detached garage which we are converting to a guest house, Works just like a river bed. In the last fifteen years it has totally rotted away the threshhold for two entry doors and all of the framing around the garage doors..we have tried many things to no avail...including digging a trench. This fall we plan to install a open topped drainage system that we found at Menards to fix the problem longterm..at least we hope it will be a long term answer...changing grade is simply not possible at all..we may tho add berm/speedbump type deflecter if the drainage system doesn't do it. But we have had two downpours in the last two weeks and only a small small amount of water got past the rubber threshhold, that was a BIG improvement for us....usually you can bathe in the amount of water that comes in. We bought the threshold at Menards for about 35 dollars for a single wide garage door. It comes with glue to install but no caulk. The little bit of water we did get in appeared to come in under the threshhold so today I cauled with mortar caulk both the front and back of the strip and I think that will do it for now...until the drainage system is installed. A cheap improvment for us...I would recommend it.

• keesha2006
    17 years ago

several huge rains later...the threshhold totally solved the problem...just be sure to cauk the edges to be sure and solve ALL rain entrance issues. I used Masonary caulk so it blended with the concrete..works like a charm. Scratch my head..wonder why we never tried this before...easy solution!