Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
At witts end with my Craftsman 1/2 Garage Door Opener

Posted by patricks (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 07 at 10:29

I have read over many of the excellent posts and follow ups, however, I cannot seem to find the solution I am seeking. Here is my problem and what I have tried.
I had to replace the chain sprocket and plastic gear assembly. After that the door will not go down unless I continue to push the button that is wired to the opener. I am getting a 5 flash sequence on the light on the logic board. I have checked the rotating cup at the end of the shaft and it is pushed in all the way. I have checked my safety sensors and they are working. One sensor is solid green and the other is solid amber. The circuit works fine when I break the sensor beam. I can watch the travelling contactor leave the upper limit switch and after the door goes down about 1 ft, it will return to the up position. Once out of every dozen or so tries, the door will actually go down. I am baffled and could use some insight. Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
found the problem - motor shaft

Shortly after I posted, I found the problem. The motor shaft has play in it and can slide in or out of the motor. It MUST be pushed out completely toward the gears to allow the rotating interrupter cup enough room to be pushed onto the shaft. After replacing the plastic gears, I did not have the shaft pushed out completely when I tightened down the retaining nut. All is well now. I learned the importance of the cup being pushed on all the way from another post and it helped me. I hope this can help some of the other people who have described a similar problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here