Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
steel beam sizing

Posted by knick (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 08 at 8:42

Hello

I am looking for some guidance, I am building a room inside a pole barn. It will be 16' wide X 20' Deep. The Ceiling above will be for storage of normal household type items. One side of the room will have a stud wall the other needs to be open. I want to put a steel beam on that side to carry the ceiling load. I have found a sizing chart and have figured the beam size. I would like anyone to jump in and tell me what you think. The Formula I used I found on the web. the design loads are as follows:
Floor dead load - 10 psf
Floor live load - 40 psf
Roof dead load - 10 psf
Roof live load - 20 psf
vertical load one story = 62
Clear span x joist/2 x vertical factor = / 1000 = KIPS

I came up with a 9.92 kips
So it looks like a w8x13 (11 Kips) would be the one to go with unless
I could go with a w8x10 (9 Kips) because I have no roof load.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: steel beam sizing

A PE stamp is normally required for steel beams.
The beam cannot be sized without a detailed drawing of the application.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here