Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dand34

Problem closing with Craftsman opener

dand34
13 years ago

I have a Craftsman opener, model 139.53985D. It is not quite 5 years old. Out of the blue, it started having trouble closing the door. It will open perfectly, but when closing, it may go 6 inches or an inch or a foot and then stop. It does not reverse like it would with a sensor obstruction or if it hit something. I also noticed that the lights just flicker when it stops, they don't really flash like when there's a problem otherwise. It may take several seconds for it to respond to the remote again (or the wall panel) and when it does, it will still continue down. Takes 2 or 3 minutes to get the door closed this way! I took it all apart and ran it disassembled. I noticed that the motor got very hot after running it through several cycles, but perhaps that's normal for this motor meant to run only a few seconds at a time. DOes this sound like a logic board problem? Any way to tell for sure? Can get a new board for $65. Would pay that if I knew it would fix it. We have had a lot of storms lately. Lightning damage to board? It looks new. When lightning once took out the board on my dad's opener, it was completely dead and you could see the burnt components on the board. Thank you in advance for any help.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths