Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener

Posted by robertarso (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 23:23

My garage door opener will open the door but not close it all of the way. The sensors work because if you block the beam the ligh bulb comes on. The tension on both cables for all practical purposes are the same. All rollers are free and the door jerks on the way down. It would stop when the top panel started to go around the bend. Afer tryin to adjust some of the adjustments it harldy moves down or up now,I know, I know don't turn a control just to tinker, I beat myself up on that already. Before I touched the adjustments the chain would go in both directions when it was disengaged from the door. Short of leaving the door up all of the time what may be the problem. Thank you for helping

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener

I think originally you had a door problem - and still do. The jerking is usually caused by a door problem. Try disconnecting the opener from the door and opening and closing it manually. If the controls you were adjusting were the up and down limits in the holes on the side of the motor unit you will need to turn them in the direction of the arrow printed on the case. I have no way to tell you how many turns. You will have to figure that out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here