Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Experience with Solar Shed Light

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 21:52

I have a 10 x 16 shed. Outside I have mounted a westinghouse dual flood led solar powered light. It gives off enough light for me to get in and out of the shed. I paid $40 2 years ago and am happy with it but they do not sell it buy me anymore.

I am now looking for something similar to mount IN the shed. I'd like something solar powered with a motion detector that will allow me to putter around the shed in the dark from time to time...I am not looking to cut diamonds or anything like that....just need enough light to find a shovel or rake or whatever.

I see harbor freight has a number of lights incl a 36 led flood light for $21. Reviwes in general for all these HF lights are poor however I wonde if mine would hold up better since it would not be exposed to the outside...well the light part anyway.

Anyone have any experience with something like this....?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Experience with Solar Shed Light

I had a remote solar panel that was mounted on top of my carport, then there was about 15 feet of wire going to a spotlight connected to the small storage battery beneath the carport. It was motion activated. I used this for about 4 years until I sold the house. It did exactly what you are looking to do, and stayed on for about 30 seconds after I left the area. I did not park here, but I did pass through this area when taking out the trash or moving tools into the utility room off the carport.

Now I have two 15 watt solar panels and a full sized deep cycle battery that will provide power for my 12 x 16 foot garden shed. My DH frequently works late in the shed, since he puts up his tools in there after dark. The shed is a barn style roof with half of the roof facing south and is perfectly oriented for the solar panels. I think we could also run a small fan off this large battery (big enough to run the cabin lights on a boat), and I know that the boat supply store sells such fans. Our setup here is not motion detecting though. Incidentally, I bought both of the solar panels from the boating supply store too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here