Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
craftsman garage door opener

Posted by carlen-2010 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 19:06

After replacing worm gear and very worn down drive gear, I carefully reassembled my 13 year old GDO. Initially, the motor worked fine, but the door only went up about five inches. Then, with chain off the sprocket and the trolley in door-down position, I pressed the wall control again and got very short (1 to 2 second) motor activation, and then nothing. The new gears did revolve, but only slightly -- for the very short time the motor ran. I tried repositioning the black cover on the motor shaft and reinstalling the four prong part next to the cover, but this didn't change anything. I'm not too technically adept -- the instructions that came with the replacement gears just about maxed me out -- so any relatively easy to understand help anyone might offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: craftsman garage door opener

Hope this helps.

Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If neither of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

o
RE: craftsman garage door opener

Thanks very much, Don. You had it exactly right -- it was the motor shaft, and tightening the coupler just as you suggested got us up and running again (after undoing some careless handling on my part of the limit adjustment screws). So again, thanks. I really do appreciate your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here