Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me!! garage project for fathers day

Posted by jboothe (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 12, 06 at 18:24

Fathers Day is coming up! My husband got out of the military last July and we bought our first home.....this is the first time he has ever had a garage of his own. He was sooo excited to have a garage and we have spent some time working around the house and yard but have done NOTHING to his poor garage!
Well, it is a WRECK!!!
I want to fix it up for a Fathers Day surprise but I do not know where to start....other than the obvious!
My main question though is in regards to painting. It is finished (drywall) but is there anything I need to do in order to seal before painting? OR has this most likely already been done.....how do I tell?? I am thinking an exterior paint would be best but what type? What is easiest to clean......should it be oil based or WHAT??
See.......I need HELP!
Should I apply two coats? How much paint would a typical garage require? It is a two car garage but not the double door/larger style. However the celing is very tall.
AND is it too humid outside to paint w/the windows and door open? Will that affect the drying time?
Also my husband has a couple of oil marks on the floor that I would like to clean off. Also he ran over a container of black shoe polish......is there any product that will get this stuff off??
And lastly is there anyone in the area that would LOVE to come help.....just kidding!
ANY suggestions on how to get him out of the house for the weekend?
Thanks in advance for any advice offered, Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me!! garage project for fathers day

How do you tell if the drywall has been painted? If you can see the color difference of the drywall mud where the nails and joint taping is, then it hasn't been painted yet. If it's a uniform color, it at least has a coat of paint on it. IMO, I would use a latex paint, they clean up with soap and water; the clean-up hassles of oil-base paints isn't fun for DIY'ers. You can use an interior or exterior paint, exterior will last longer, but do use a flat paint (gloss or semi-gloss will show every defect). I would probably paint with the garage door open, a lot of moisture is released from latex paints, and there is an odor buildup to some extent. Lower cost paints may require 2 coats, if the drywall hasn't been painted yet, you may require 2 coats with a premium paint which could be done with a primer and finish coat or 2 coats of a finish paint. Coverage is typically 300-400 square feet of wall or ceiling per gallon, but read the label to be sure! If you have oily or greasy marks on the wall, DO get an oil-base stain killer to spot coat these areas first. Auto parts stores have some spot removers for garage floors, you might check Autozone or someplace else.

o
RE: help me!! garage project for fathers day

Great! I appreciate the answers SOOOO much! I was just giving it one last check before leaving for lowes and you answered several of my questions.
The walls are just drywall off white w/the tape (looks like just white paint) in stripes up and down and some across.
I wouldn't have thought to get a flat paint though because isn't it hard to clean? When our house was built the whole interior was done in flat paint and every little grease mark shows up....everytime the kids touch the wall there is a spot! I guess I could go with a darker color to hide dirt better.
Alright, well I have alot of work ahead.
I started cleaning things out today and the floor has several grease spills and stains. My husband really is a bit of a slob!
He better keep it clean after this! Thanks again, jennifer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here