Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New garage door opener

Posted by green445 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 18:07

I'm not happy with my garage door opener, and would like to replace it. Is there any opener that stands out as the best, or is it a matter of opinion? I'm not saying that money is no object, but I am willing to spend more for something I'll appreciate and lasts. I use that door many times a day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New garage door opener

I would go with Liftmaster and if noise is a factor I would get the belt drive. No opener is 100% trouble free and they all are susceptible to lightning and voltage surges. If yours is working I would use it until it dies.

o

What about Martin brand, who makes the most reliable and powerful?

o

I'm on my second idrive in about four years, and it does not close the door some times. The door stops, reverses and opens. The resistance is in the idrive itself, the door moves freely. I have had enough watching the door to see if it closed, and getting out of my truck to help it close. It has already killed my patience.

o

The Idrive has the worst reputation of anything on the market. The manufacturer just doesn't seem to care.

Martin doesn't make door openers. It is made by someone else and they put Martins name on it. Most likely Chamberlain Mfg. Co. who also makes Liftmaster and Sears.

o

I thought I just had a bad unit, but my replacement is no better. I want a one from a manufacturer that does seem to care. I want to be able to push the button and drive down the driveway knowing it will close.

o

Liftmaster is the way to go. But any manufacturer worth his salt will tell you to sit and wait until you see the door close and stop. It's to big, too heavy and too dangerous otherwise.

o
RE: garage door opener

I have a Craftsmen 1/2 hp opener. Worked fine til recently. I can open it using the wall button, but neither remote won't close it til the unit light goes out (about 5 minutes). When I return, neither remote will open the door. I have to go into the house and use the wall button to open it. Any suggestions?

o

On the rear of the motor unit just to the left of all those white wires is a small LED. Check to see if it is flashing. Random flashing is normal but rapid flashing indicates interference. If it is flashing rapidly when the light is on remove the bulb and see if it stops. You may have a bad logic board causing these problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here