Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Genie GDO - operator runs, door not responding

Posted by hookem (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 07 at 17:59

I have a Genie GCG 350ML (chain glide, 0.5 HP, bought in 2004) opener that has been giving me a lot of trouble.
Currently, the opener makes a buzzing sound (can't call it a hum) when I hit the wall/remote button but the door does not move.

When I try to close the door using the opener, I expect the chain to move away from the opener and pass through the carriage. But the chain moves a couple of inches and stops. On pressing the wall control button again, the chain reverses direction. The door does not move at all.

When I try to open the door using the opener, the chain moves towards the opener but the door does not open. Once the chain reaches the open limit, it reverses direction.

I have replaced the worm and drive gears as well as the circuit board. I have checked to make sure that the door is balanced and I even got a repairman to take a look at the whole thing. Apart from urging me to replace the opener, he had no other solution to offer. I am able to open and close the door manually. I have also fiddled with the limit force switches and it has not changed anything.

Could this be a problem with the carriage mechanism? Genie's customer service (btw, very efficient) also does not have any suggestions. Have any of you seen this problem before? Can one of the experts please shed some light on what could be goinf on here?

Thanks,
Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Genie GDO - operator runs, door not responding

If Genie could not tell you whats wrong with it then we won't be able to either. Sorry, Genie has extremely knowledgable techs and in my experiences have always provided me with an answer. I would have to have to look at this one myself. Again I am sorry for not being able to help more, not much you can do over the computer at this point.

o
RE: Genie GDO - operator runs, door not responding

Thanks anyway, doorguy.
I found that the operator housing (plastic) is cracked in a couple of places and as soon as I mentioned this to the people at Genie, they said that I needed to get myself a new power head. At this point, I decided to ditch the unit and have now got myself a new one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here