Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
color of outdoor extension cords

Posted by phyllis__mn (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 17:57

Do they have certain colors for each gauge? I've noticed that different brands follow the same colors, i.e. yellow for 12 gauge, etc. I was going to buy a 12 gauge today, but saw the color was the same as the one I have at home for outdoor use.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: color of outdoor extension cords

not to my knowledge. i know hardwire is color coded jackets, but as far as the cord is concerned i have seen every guage in every color!

o

I was afraid of that....I see now that the one I have is not nearly the size of the 12 gauge I saw in the store. SIL says he has a couple of the latter that I can have. I just bought an electric corded mower, and the grass may get rather high by the time he gets back to me with the cords! Anyway, thanks for your input.

o

"i know hardwire is color coded jackets"

Only certain brands,
It is not a code requirement.

o

i did not know that brickeye. i figured it had changed in teh code since white=14, yellow=12, etc.. no matter where you buy it now here. i guess the older all white regardless of guage is still available, though not in my area. i know many inspectors like you using the color coded so they can tell at a glance across teh room if it is proper guage or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here