Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Workshop Window Covers

Posted by wxman5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 17:53

My shop has several large windows that slide open for ventilation. I put mini blinds over them for security and to block out the sun, especially this time of year. They're are always dirty and tend to gum up with dust, sawdust, and grime.

My blinds are starting to disintegrate with age and I was wondering if I should put the same type in, again. These lasted about 10 years.

Any suggestions on alternatives or at least how to clean them? We like the looks of blinds, but they are a mess.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Workshop Window Covers

Ten years out of a set of mini-blinds sounds pretty good to me but I do understand the hassle keeping them clean in a workshop environment. Maybe some kind of curtain that could be laundered would be a better idea???

As for cleaning mini-blinds my method is a bit odd but I've had good luck with it. I'd only use it on blinds with metal or plastic slats. You'll need a warm, sunny day with low humidity and a breeze. Also some place outdoors to hang up the blinds while you clean them (like a fence or the railing of a deck). Get a pump-up type sprayer and a gallon of degreaser. Mix up the degreaser according to the directions in the sprayer. Spray down the blinds with degreaser, which should cause the dirt just to run off. Then rinse well with a hose. Allow to dry in the sun (you may want to give them a bit of a "shake" to get off the excess water).

o

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I'm probably being kind of cheap hoping inexpensive blinds would last more than 10 years. As for your cleaning method, do the strings hold up very well getting wet like that?

o

The strings aren't the problem, you don't want the mechanism to rust. That's why you need a warm, breezy day so that the water can evaporate before it causes problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here