Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the minimum width of a 3 car garage

Posted by BAVE (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 17:43

My house plan has a 22ft deep by 25ft wide 2 car garage. However, I have the option of widening it to 30 ft max (due to set back). Will this be enough for a 2 car stall and an additional small stall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the minimum width of a 3 car garage

I think you'd find it too cramped to get full use of one of the stalls. I'd look at incorporating french doors into the additional width for passage of lawn equipment, etc.
JMHO

o

The gargage that I built 8 years ago was 28 feet wide and it was only for 2 cars parked side by side. It gave you room for storage along the sides and to be able to open your doors fully.

Our new house we are planning on a 40 foot wide 3 car but a bike will be stored in the thrid bay.

o

Thanks. We decided to stick to the 25 ft wide. We have plenty of space to add a detached three car in the future so I've decided to be patient.

o

For others looking at this idea, the conventional minimum that I've seen is 32' wide, but if you have small cars you could squeeze three cars in to a narrower garage if there's nothing on the sides and you are motivated to do so. In my city there is a lot of hail so I have seen people do this, but it's not functional if you're doing it regularly.

o

I just bought a house with a 21 wide "2" car garage! We will see about that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here