Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door closes in fits and starts

Posted by guttsache (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 07 at 17:17

During cold weather (and I live in Canada), my garage door opener will make the door close about a foot then start to go back up again. By having a quick finger on the control, I can stop its upward progress, and send it down again, a little further this time, and then it starts to go back up once more. It probably takes me about 10 of these stop-start manouevres to get the door all the way down and closed.
It's an old model and doesn't have electric eyes. It works better in the summer. Anyone got any ideas for a fix? Of course, I can always install a new closer, but that goes against the grain!
Cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door closes in fits and starts

Try increasing the 'down force' just a bit. You will find it near where all those white wires go. Don't overdo it as it affects the door safety system.

o
RE: Door closes in fits and starts

Thanks, Don, it seems to have done the trick. Mind you, I'll reserve final judgement until next December when we've got a foot of snow on the ground!
But thanks for your speedy advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here