Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Door Adjustments Don't Last

Posted by kookykitty (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 16:57

Hello, I'm hoping someone has an idea about what's wrong with our garage door opener. We have a Craftsman 1/2HP garage door opener (model 139.539...). About a month ago it started acting up - not opening all the way, opening and shutting on it's own, etc. I say "etc" because it's not behavior is not consistent. So we would fix it by tweaking the adjustments. But the problem is that the "fix" would only last about 2 days before it would start all over again. This last "fix" we zeroed out the force admustments because we had reached the max, then started over (the travel limit adjustments don't seem to have a max) That fix only lasted 2 days and now it's not working again.

Here's generally what it seems to be doing:
first try: opens up about 3 ft.
second try: closes all the way
third try: opens about 6 inches
fourth try: closes, then opens on it's own
fifth try: closes and may or may not stay closed.

Does anyone have any idea why our fixes will only last 2 days?

Thanks,
Kitty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Door Adjustments Don't Last

I think you need to remove the cover from the motor unit and check for a bad drive gear. It is white nylon and is just in front of the motor. It will be obvious if it is going bad. The part number is 41A2817 and it comes with instructions. It is available at Sears or any good door opener service company. Do not accept it if the instructions are not included.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here