Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

Rules for lining garages - British Columbia and general

pjb999
17 years ago

Hi,

As I already mentioned in a previous part of the forum, I've just bought a house from a family who were terrible renovators/handy persons - everything they did (thankfully not too many things) have been done wrong, shelves screwed into drywall only, that sort of thing....sigh.

Anyway, not long ago, they converted their carport to a garage, it looks as if a professional did the drywalling, it's reasonable, but two things - one, the ceiling is (presumably the original) plywood, and the door's a regular masonite hollow-core door.

I remember from my time in Ontario, internal doors had to be fire-rated, and the drywall of a certain thickness...? The drywall's thicker than the usual 10mm or so (I figured if it's the right thing to do (I don't know if the conversion to garage even went through the permit process, I doubt it) I'd just put gyproc/drywall straight over the ceiling over the plywood - which should give it some fire-rating. If I'm going to do it, I should do it soon, before I start organising the garage with shelves and benches etc...

There are a couple of surface-mounted cables I thought I'd probably just migrate to the new surface, but the biggie is- the garage door, complete with opener - I don't mind if the ceiling's a bit patchy, ie if I use a number of small sheets for ease of installation, but I'm thinking it'd be best to drop the garage door mounts, opener etc so I can put the drywall up - I could even slip pieces under with slots for screws? Or am I about to enter a world of pain, and will the thickness of the drywall make a difference to the installation of the door guides, opener etc, and should I make adjustments in the brackets etc ? Doesn't look tooooo hard to do.

Or should I do what most others would and ignore it? Personally, I think it's a fire hazard as it is, what do others think? It will end up as a workshop as well as garage, and I may heat it as well, so it will get used (one smart thing they did, the dryer exhaust pipe runs through it and it actually heats the garage quite well when dryer is running)

Thanks

Comment (1)