Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Install myself or not?

Posted by ekoreilly (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 13:20

I'm thinking of installing the liftmaster belt (3280) or even the jackshaft. I would be saving 140. Is it worth it or not? THis would be replacing a 1992 GDO without the sensors on the door. Fairly easy to do?

I like the odea of the jackshaft (new toy you know) and have the room for it, but the ceiling is 12 ft high and the light might be to high. Is the jackshaft easy to install? Savings there would be $200

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Install myself or not?

as long as you don't need to mess with the lift springs on the door, i say install it yourself. i replaced both of our GDOs when the old ones died. takes maybe 30 minutes for a direct replacement, probably a couple hours if you are changing from chain to belt.

o
RE: Install myself or not?

yeahI'd be changing from a chain to a belt PLUS adding the safety sensors on the door. I'm considering doing the new opener though, the one that goes on the side. Seem kind of neat, but also a pain in the arse as some people have mentioned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here