Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Genie Door opener problem

Posted by brc21 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 12:50

Hi all
New to this forum but I thought this looked like a good place to start. I have a Genie screw drive door opener that has been pretty reliable for several years (4-5). It recently has started going back up when we close it. The lower limit switch is not causing it to stop so it hits the driveway and things it has struck something and goes back up. This is a very intermittent problem and sometimes will work perfectly for a couple of days then start acting up again. It has also occasionally only closed about 10 inches then gone back up. When this has happens it can be resolved by holding down the button (either car remote or wall switch) until it passes the point where it is reversing then it will continue to close My first thought was the circuit board (31184R) because every time I pull that board out and then reinstall it back the unit seems to work for a while. I have checked all ground straps and wires I can access and there doesnt seem to be any loose wires. Also it doesnt make a difference whether I am activating the unit from the wall switch or car remote. Any thoughts or advice would be be appreciated.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Genie Door opener problem

Without explanation we had the same things happening to our garage door during change of seasons. I decided it was .. something. lol. but seriously.

The fix was simply to change the tension on the springs. There's
2 ways to do it.

You can do it normally by moving the spring to the next tension spot. Or you can insert a spacer, this makes the spring longer, and less tight. The spacker is made from something you make by
hand. If you're not handy then you have a problem.

without too much explaining. It's possible it would not shut because
there's too much tension on the spring. so loosening the spring means the door shuts easier thus completing its journey. you must
, however, cause the spring to be less springy , longer, both or somehow do this.

You can test the hypothethsis. Just ask someone to put a bit of
pressure on the door while it's closing , or opening.. which evern
is the problem mode. If it works ok then the spring is too tight.

Temperature can change the characteristics of the spring.

But oddly we have had the problem during periods whenthe temps
did not change much and not had the problem when the tmeps
changed a lot. so it's no fun diganosiging it.

Someone here can probably suggest a way to make the spring
looser or tighter as reqruired using a screw and washer or
maybe a piece of wood shim.

That solves part of the problem. I'm done for now. and will maybe check back to follow up a bit.

Andre

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here