Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trolley wear

Posted by cavell (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 12:35

have older opener. track trolley? wore out. or wore thru. one side of the extruded aluminum tee piece wore thru. cannot get new part. found a guy who welds aluminum so he might try and fix it. would be much easier to fix it than buy a new opener. but i suppose things wear out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trolley wear

Yes things wear out. Especially after as many years as that thing has been in operation. There is a trolley available that will replace the one you have. The exact replacement for your trolley hasn't been available for about 20 years. You can check out part number 41A3489. Sells for $26.99 or there abouts.

o

trolley is pretty simple. tee shape. attaching point for cable. another point for lift bracket. mine is cast alum. seems the replacement one is stamped steel. maybe it will fit?

o

It will fit but will not be an exact replacement.

o

You can always just assemble one from stock shapes, or even simply pop-rivet a patch over the worn location.

o

got a used one. opener is so old, there are clips on drive chain to trigger up/down limits. the trolley has the cable mount on the opposite side as original. and threaded rod for chain tension is shorter. so lengthen chain, or use new rod and shorten chain.

o

Let's see now. If the cable mount is on the other side it will be going down when it's going up and going up when it's - oh well.

o

I just turned trolley around. Not sure what rod is called that connects chain to cable. Tension rod? Some trolleys do not have it. U mount the small springs to it so the lift cable has some cushion. My new rod is shorter so I need to lengthen chain or move cable pulley about 1 " closer to opener motor.

o

hey, my trolley is backwards? works fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here