Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Door bounces

Posted by higgledy (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 12:22

I have two garage doors, both with LiftMaster openers. One of the garage doors bounce when it first begins to open, but then smooths-out. I am think this is movement is not good for the opener's gears.

Does anyone know what causes a garage door to bounce when it first begins to open? If needed, I can make and post a video clip youtube. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Door bounces

The door needs to be in balance and have all of the hardware operating smoothly, without sticking or binding. This is checked with the door disconnected from the opener.
The door should be in neutral balanced with the springs when the bottom is about 4 foot off of the floor. The hardware (rollers, rails, etc) should be adjusted so as not not allow excessive side-play.
Sticking between the door face and the jamb on one side as the door goes up is frequently the cause of bouncing, and no, it's not good for the GDO.

o
RE: Garage Door bounces

Thanks. I'll check the jamb for starters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here