Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryellenpeace

cost to build garage w/ apt

maryellenpeace
16 years ago

Hi,

Im thinking about building a garage with an apartment on top. I would like a 2, maybe three, car garage with hopefully at least 700 square feet of livable space.

Any one have a clue an approx. cost?

Any one ever build one and have suggestions in the preplanning or things to consider or watch out for????

Did you use an architech or buy plans???

Would you have done anything differently???

etc etc....

any advice or info would be appreciated. Thank you

Comments (10)

• randy427
    16 years ago

84 Lumber has (or had) some plans for such a project. The finished product looked like a classic barn with a circular stairway in the attached 'silo'.

• bas157
    16 years ago

I think the cost would depend on a bunch of things.
    How big?
    Type of construction (pole building, steel framed, stick?)
    How far from utilities it is?
    Would you finish the apartment, and what quality of stuff would you finish it with (cabinets, appliances, etc).
    I would say if you are doing it, go for a three car at least.
    Cost also depends on where you are (middle of nowhere, right near a big city)

• maryellenpeace
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, thanks.
    I would like a three car garage with a small kitchen w/ cabinets and appliances about 900-1000 sq. feet. I would like it finished nicely with the works. I was even thinking of a fireplace. Is that totally outrageous? I live right in the middle of the city.

I see now how my question was a little vague. So does that help a little???

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

Maryellen...The garage apartment I am planning will be brick, four car, one bedroom, with a large living room on the end of the building farthest from the street. A pair of French doors will open onto a 16x 20 deck.

But no fireplace, just a chiminia!

I am hoping for a steel frame and am trying to decide if a 12/12 roof or a gambrel (barn style) roof is the way to go.

I'm out in the country, Mississippi coast, 32 acres.

I'll gladly share my info with you as I collect it.
    Terry

• maryellenpeace
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cool, I'd love to here about the progress of these projects. 120$ per sq foot gives me at least an idea of cost. Im just starting this.
    Id also like the structure above the garage to be two level.

My neighbor estimated his cost to be 85,000$ for a 3 car 24 x 36 structure which included everthing from start to finish. Ill keep updating this as I go along. Id love to her about your projects too.

I am a single woman who is pretty clueless about building projects and have never done this before but I know a lot of carpenters, builders etc.....
    Its going to be quite the learning process. Thanks for your imput thus far

• kknight911
    15 years ago

Try the internet for plans. I found a great website for garages with lofts and or apartments. Youc an build out interior at a later date, just have them plumb and wire it for you.

I am looking at this option as well as metal buildings etc.....

Please let me know of any updates

Here is a link that might be useful: Family Home Plan

• ncounty
    15 years ago

I had a bid of about $120,000 for a similar thing....2.5+ car garage with 1 bedroom apartment above it, about 700-900 sq ft. Average finish, not high end. This involves pouring the slab and building a significant retaining wall (just the wall was 12,500). in san diego, affluent area.

• susana_2006
    15 years ago

I almost bought a property with a lovely garage apartment. The problem was that the owner (a home builder) had not adhered to city code.
    The apartment had been permitted, but the city did not allow a structure with a kitchen in a detached structure. So according to the city, the owner would have to get a permit to remove the electrical (for the stove), remove the stove and sign a covenant that persons would not live in the apartment.

Since, I wanted the apartment as a vacation home for me & my son's family would live in the main house, the whole thing fell apart.
    Good luck
    Susan

• avphile
    14 years ago

Just finishing one up that is 30x45' 3 individual doors holds 7 cars and has 1200 sq ft of living space above. My finishes upstairs are nicer than average and it is going to finish out about 130,000.00 not including utilities to the site. Im sure Morton buildings could get you a much cheaper building but i overkill everything.