Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Doors - Replace ?

Posted by dug22 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 12:08

I have a 2 car garage in my home that was built in 1976. The garage doors are still the originals and are made of wood. I have noticed that the rollers (steel) wobble badly and probably need replaced. I have thought about getting new doors but I have seen some really cheap replacements which look like aluminum foil over foam that dent easily. I have check out web sites for Wayne Dalton and others and have noticed that the better doors are made of wood. My current wood doors are still in decent shape.

Can I just replace the hardware ? If yes, which hardware should I replace ? Where can I get it ? Is this a difficult job ? Or, should I just replace everything, doors included ?

I would apppreciate any suggestions. Thanks !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Doors - Replace ?

If the doors are in good shape, why bother to replace them. Most home centers sell replacement hardware. Or try an overhead door company in your area or the Internet.

Just replace the rollers and brackets one at a time.

o
RE: Garage Doors - Replace ?

"I have check out web sites for Wayne Dalton and others and have noticed that the better doors are made of wood."

Wood doors are generally higher priced because they are more expensive to make. That doesn't make them necessarily better. The higher cost keeps them out of the low-end market, so the door manufacturers tend to make only high-end wood doors.

Quality doors can be also purchased in steel and fiberglass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here