Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Older Sears Garage Door Opener

Posted by soperman (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 26, 06 at 11:56

I recently purchased an older home with a Sears 1/3 HP Model 162L garage door opener with a Sears/Craftsman remote model 139.53778.

The remote has stopped working and I can't find any information on what may be wrong. I replaced the battery and get a red light indication when the buttons are pressed but nothing happens. As far as I can see, there is no "learn" button on or within the motor unit. The 18- year-old sales rep at Sears had absolutely no idea what I was talking about (I'm sure the unit was manufactured way before he was born).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Older Sears Garage Door Opener

There is always the chance that the remote or receiver has quit but we don't know which. The older units had dip switches on both the remote and the logic board. This is a set of miniature switches that have 3 positions and must be set exactly the same for the unit to work. You will find them near the battery in the remote and near all those white wires on the opener.

o

I have a sears 139.53778 transmitter. It has to be early 90's. It has 3 buttons. 1 larger and 2 smaller. Also a red l.e.d. light. Everything worked fine but someone "locked out" the transmitter with the "lock" button on the wired unit from inside the garage. This wouldn't be an issue but that "someone" also locked the only other entrance to the garage from the inside. I don't want to break in so.....Is there any way or sequence of pushing the buttons on the transmitter to reset the opener with the transmitter buttons? P.S. I tripped the power breaker to the garage from the house but that didn't work!!
Thanks for any help!

o

There is no way to reset the transmitter. Sorry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here