Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backing In - How to know when to stop?

Posted by brcooks (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 11:35

We just organized our garage with new cabinets and can now get both cars parked inside (yeah!!). However, since we back in (due to rear-entry and limited turn around space), many of the usual methods, such as the hanging tennis ball don't work for us. Might work with the husband's Camry, but not so great with my minivan and the straight back window that is hard to see. I bought some laser sensors, but haven't opened the package yet. It looks like I would still need to see where the beams hit the part of the car I can't see when backing in. Also, we have cabinets along the wall opposite the door, so we can't mount the distance-sensing units on that wall. Comments on the guides that sit on the floor indicate that they move and are therefore unreliable.

Does anyone know of a laser system that would work especially well for our situation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backing In - How to know when to stop?

Never mind. Problem solved! I determined that the laser beams work, just have to aim for something we can see (like on the dash).

o
RE: Backing In - How to know when to stop?

just so others know, a tennis ball would still work. you simply hang it so that it hits the back window. you DO look behind you as you back up don't you?

another option is to get car stops and place them on the floor where your rear wheels stop. once you feel the vehicle hit them, you stop. a simple and cheap version is to just nail/glue down a couple pieces of 2x4.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here