Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage door does not open (trolley stuck)

Posted by rusa7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 11:24

Hi all,
My garage door started misbehaving and finally stopped opening. The other day I closed the garage door but it opened up right away after closing. After a couple of attempts it stopped opening altogether.

When I press the opener on the wall the chain just shakes /rattles and gives up.

I have detached the door from the trolley and am manually lifting up the door to get the cars out.

The gear and sprocket looks fine. But I changed it out just to be sure but same behavior

If I disconnect the chain the motor rotates fine.

But if I connect the chain back all it does is the chain tightens up very hard but the trolley does not budge even though I have the garage door disengaged

The trolley is on garage door end (not on the opener end). I disconnected the chain and pressed the wall switch to make sure the gear rotated clockwise so that it would be as if garage door was closed. The garage door is still disengage. Then I connected the chain back and pressed the button on the wall to see if the trolley would reverse. Motor just hums and chain tightens up. Trolley does not move towards garage opener side.

Any idea what I should check for ? Should I increase the limits or the force?

This post was edited by rusa7 on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 13:26

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage door does not open (trolley stuck)

Hi all,
Restating the problem..

Problem:
Trolley is on door side. Not against stop bolt on the opener side. Garage door no longer opens

What I have tried so far:

Replaced gear and sprocket. It did not make a difference

Removed chain from gear. Disconnected garage door. Motor turns fine clockwise and anticlockwise with chain removed

Connect chain. Garage still door disconnected. Press wall switch to open. Chain tightens on one side but trolley does not reverse. The other side of the chain is loose. But one side is really tight

With chain tight on one side, try one more time. Just a small buzz and GDO blinks 5 times and does that over and over. No movement

I have not changed the limits or the force.

From what I have read, it appears that the problem can be any of the following
- Limits or Force out of adjustment
- Starting capacitor
- RPM sensor
- Bad logic board or a cold solder on the logic board
- Gear and Sprocket

Can anyone guide me on the next step to troubleshoot. I already bought the gear and sprocket but it did not fix the problem. I want to avoid buying the capacitor, RPM sensor or logic board.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here