Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New old garage - some questions

Posted by herus (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 07 at 11:08

Home is 14 yrs old, we moved in about two months ago and used Behr products to degrease/prime/epoxy coat in a light blue color. Results look acceptable if not great. I have heard that hot tires will melt the paint and ruin both the floor and the tires' cosmetics.

As we have not yet parked in the garage due to boxes from the move, I would like to be proactive about this. The last of the boxes is due to depart this week, and although I have googled for 'garage floor mats' I have not found what I would like. Well, I guess I did, but at over $200 a pop, a bit pricey.

Any recommendations? It would be nice for the mat to incorporate a 'stop bump' feature but if not, that's ok. Mainly I want to protect the floor from tire heat/dirt but a plus would be fluid containment. Up to about $100 per car would be about what I'd like to spend. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New old garage - some questions

Why not just use an old rug in conjunction with a concrete stop(bricks ??) and a large drip pan..
I have doubts if anyone has thought of manufacturing these items as a package yet specifically for this purpose..
Maybe next year...and, of course, made in China....

o
RE: New old garage - some questions

Unless the Behr stuff is garbage, I really wouldn't worry about it. You just need to change your parking habits. I have an Epoxy floor sealed with 4 coats of 2part Urethane and alls I do is leave the car outside for about 20min and let the tires cool down. I only do this when I have been driving the car for more then an hour. Most of the time the tires are never very hot after short 20min trips, so I just park it in the garage. On the other hand my DW, who often ignores my "hot-tire" rule, has driven on it with hot tires several times and it has had no effect so far. My floor is 5 months old and still looks as good as the day it was installed.

As for stuff dropping on it, I have found nothing that sticks. Water is probably the worst thing that gets on it, since you can't see it and it makes the floor slippery. I was told the only thing that can eat it is brake fluid that is left on it for more then 48 hours. I was also told by my installer that they can fix it if an area goes bad. I really wouldn't worry about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here