Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_flynn

Pouring Cement Floor in Existing Shed -- Help

Pines Everywhere
11 years ago

I have a shed that was a pigeon coop years ago. Most shed-owners in my neighborhood think it is structurally sound and I agree. However, I would like to update it from just garden/tool storage to a place for heavier equipment and I want to minimize unwanted critter entry under the now wood flooring. Is it possible to do the following for this 32 x 9 structure versus tearing the whole thing down and starting over:

- remove the existing flashing/aluminum skirting around the base perimeter that is affixed to the T1 siding

- dig around the existing perimeter to investigate the footings and lower support rails, see if there are cement support blocks blah, blah,

- Remove a large 6' Window and cut T1 out to create new wide door opening and access for cement guys

Can cement be poured by professionals if I do all the above? Also, if anybody knows, will I compromise the integrity of the structure if I do this?

Trying to save $$ and not tear the thing down. Next post I'll attempt to upload some photos. Thanks in advance.

Comments (15)

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I figured out how to post a photo. This goes with my above plea for advice. This is my pigeon coop shed that needs a makeover and cement floor.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point on the building codes -- I hadn't thought about that but I better check -- that's a biggie.

I really don't know what the shed is sitting on now other than looking thru holes in the existing floor thru which I see the vertical posts going into the ground. I haven't started tearing things apart yet because I don't want even more of a critter problem than I already have UNLESS I have a PLAN to fix or destroy.

I will look, however, I'm a chick and a little timid about varmints that carry rabies. I'll suit up, tear away some skirting and report back.

Thanks John -- anyone else please chime in.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

Many municipalities will let small (~100 sq. ft.) outbuildings sit on the ground or on just a concrete slab. Bigger buildings often require a "real" foundation and the structure tied to the foundation just like with a house. Generally speaking, larger remodeling projects require adherence to current building codes.

I can't see it being cost effective to try and build a foundation system under the existing coop. Nor would pouring a concrete slab inside it's perimeter make much sense.

You can do some digging and see what's below the shed, although you may need to a hire a qualified professional to evaluate whatever you find.

I wouldn't worry about critters too much. Do lots of banging first and they should leave.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the additional comments and questions. I did manage to pull off an edge of the skirting and was very disappointed. It looks as if this "thing" of shed is sitting on cross-beams (6 x 12 or something) -- see picture.

These have been sitting in the ground for at least 20 years (my estimation and based on the previous ownership). Ugg -- I think it needs to come down! Now I'm worried it could topple. What farmer would build such a large coop on a wooden frame?

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, to your other questions (thanks again by the way) ... I am trying to establish a nice place for the Garden Tractor and other tools. We have 2.5 acres and a long ranch style home. If the existing "coop" was upgradeable, I would love to have done that to produce something like the below image (very similar to our setting). Due to the weight, size (and value) of the Garden Tractor, I wanted a secure structure to store it in (thus the concrete foundation, stable vertical supports and cross-beams, etc.)

Now I think a tear down of the coop is in order (which will be a mess) plus the cost of the new mini-garage. For this kind of investment, I may just put the new structure at the end of the home itself as a detached garage. I don't know. Back to the DRAWING BOARD as they say!!

Thanks again gentlemen and any other readers.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

They used timbers because that's what they had and/or it was the cheapest/easiest way to build the coop. Remember this was for birds, not people. Wood isn't a bad choice but a layer of crushed stone helps with drainage, just like with railroad tracks.

You may want to get someone in to evaluate the structure; it could have many years of useful life left in it.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will get a real evaluation Mike -- thanks for the interest. The whole thing is kind of creepy but the birds have been long gone and it's been cleaned out several times. It does serve as a handy storage for light items and if "safe" .... I could use it for some time yet (you are correct). I'd even paint the thing and put some yard art on the long side (for my neighbors viewing). Ha ha.

I have a smaller shed that was a coop too but has been redone once into a potting shed of sorts (much cuter, standard shape, door windows, shake siding). I'm tackling that now (it is easier and empty). I'll probably have some questions and photos too coming up on that project -- stay tuned shed enthusiasts!!

Enjoy the weekend -- thanks again.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will get a real evaluation Mike -- thanks for the interest. The whole thing is kind of creepy but the birds have been long gone and it's been cleaned out several times. It does serve as a handy storage for light items and if "safe" .... I could use it for some time yet (you are correct). I'd even paint the thing and put some yard art on the long side (for my neighbors viewing). Ha ha.

I have a smaller shed that was a coop too but has been redone once into a potting shed of sorts (much cuter, standard shape, door windows, shake siding). I'm tackling that now (it is easier and empty). I'll probably have some questions and photos too coming up on that project -- stay tuned shed enthusiasts!!

Enjoy the weekend -- thanks again.

• Christina Lauer
    5 years ago

This post is 6 years old. To the person who originally posted this thread, I am curious of your end result. I too have a shed and it looks very similar to yours 8'x16' (that I plan to extend it to 8'x32') that is also just on a wood type structure. I am interested in getting concrete slab put down so I can renovate it into a tiny house to rent out.... now since I'm signed up I'll probably post my own thread but if anybody has anything to chime in , and be greatly appreciated

• toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

I'm no structural expert but it seems like it should be possible to lay down a floating concrete floor inside. That is, not attached to the walls. It would require a frame around the outside (i.e. a mold) to hold in the concrete away from the walls.

Another way is to have a gravel floor. Scoop out a few inches of soil (which you may want to do with a concrete floor too), add 1" gravel, compact. If you want an even smoother surface you can add a layer of 'quarry fines' (goes by various names but basically 1/4" and smaller gravel/dust). This stuff is very compactable and will harden up into an almost concrete-like surface when compacted.

Of course you have to look ahead to preservation of the structure with regard to the wood sills and that's the more difficult part. You could have the whole thing jacked up, dig a foundation trench around the perimeter for support, extend your floor out under the walls, and set it back down. Theoretically. I have no idea how feasible that would be for this building, especially since it may not be tied together well, or how much it would cost compared to replacing the whole thing. Might be cheaper in that sense to tear it down, put in a good foundation and floor, and build a new shed. OR, do the interior floor and don't worry about the sills till later when they need replacement. You might want to get a pro to look at it. A practical, how-can-we-do-this-cheap-and-effectively type of pro, not a $100k magazine cover shed building pro. :-D

• Christina Lauer
    5 years ago

I'm thinking when all is said and done, it's probably cheaper to tear down and rebuild.

• toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

I see you're planning to extend the existing, so you could put in a concrete floor and foundation for the new part, put some gravel in the old section and call it good. That may be the best of both worlds, at the lowest cost. Just a thought. If you tear down, consider reusing any good parts like metal siding. Or at least donate to somewhere like Habitat for Humanity Restore. I always have to make a plug for recycling. :-D

• mike_kaiser_gw
    5 years ago

There's a big difference between the structural requirements for a chicken coop or shed and that of a habitable structure. You can't just pour a slab, the slab needs footings and maybe a foundation. I'd also suspect that once you get to the structure itself you'll find that it doesn't meet modern building codes. If this had been built as a house, some of those deficiencies would be grandfathered but it wasn't built as a house...

• toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

I totally missed the part about making it into a tiny house to rent out. Thanks mike_kaiser for pointing that out. Totally agree. And the best way to find out how you would need to build that is to talk to local contractors and/or the building permit office. Codes vary quite a bit regionally, and it can even make quite a difference whether you're in the city or out in the county.