Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fire rated material for garage ceiling

Posted by datura-07 (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 23:15

Is there anything that can be used for a garage ceiling besides 5/8" drywall when there is a living space above it?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fire rated material for garage ceiling

Is there a reason you don't want to use drywall? USG makes a variety of gypsum fire-rated products and has recommended assemblies if you want to increase fire rating of the ceiling. I would imagine there are other commecial/industrial products as well but they might be expensive.

o

Thanks for asking Mike. We have an apartment above it and have numerous wires, pipes, etc. running thru the tresses. so we would like to be able to get to some of them. I doubt there is but was wondering if there was some type of dropped ceiling or other panel that was fired rated that we could use. I guess our plan will be to add a few cut outs that we can pulldown if we need to get at something. thanks for any help.

o

Cutting and repairing drywall is very simple.

There are not many inexpensive ways to put openings in a firewall (especially a ceiling) and preserve the fire rating.

o

dropped ceiling....?

o

Some thing that could be removed and returned without damaging or making repairs, I think of a dropped ceiling as being able to take out the panels. OK, so are there any removable panels that are fire rated.

thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here