Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting garage floor?

Posted by patilrajashri (My Page) on
Sun, May 7, 06 at 22:57

I have heard that people paint their garage floors and it really looks nice. I am thinking of painting it too. But don't know which color and what type of paint. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks a lot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting garage floor?

there are a couple we've checked out...one is a plain bahr garage floor paint. the other is a compound mix with broadcasted flakes in it...

as for the color? it's can match trim or wimsy...case in point? the couple on weekend warriors show (hgtv) that used hot pink!

just be sure to get the "right" masonary paint and start with a very clean floor...

o

Some garage floor coatings require that the concrete floor be acid etched before applying the coating. Look at the application instructions very carefully before committing to any one product so that you can be fully informed of the complexity and difficulty of the job.

o

Do a google on self leveling floor paints or coatings.
There is alot of info to be found there.
As for personal experience.
I have worked with Keeler+Long self leveling 2 part epoxy for both industrial and private use.
The self leveling epoxy/resin is extremely durable and has a fantastic finish but is a bit more work than the regular floor paint.
They have some nice color combinations, and as mentioned by susanjf you can use a colored flake in it.
If are going to park cars on it I would suggest using something with a rougher finish.
(or add flakes close to the end of the curing process)
A guy I work with did his garage with the epoxy resin, it was smooth as glass.......on a rainy day his car slid across the very slick floor, much to his dismay.

o

I painted the floors in a three car garage with 6 inches up the sides. It is a two part epoxy Rustoleum product. It took my wife and I about 3-4 hours. You must prep well and READ ALL the directions. They offer two colors. It is also tough enough that a small local airport used it in their hangors. Looks good after 5 years and I will use it again. I am including the link to their website. Oh yeah, put the paint chips in a coffee can, put a bunch of holes in the cover so you can broadcast the little chips evenly across the painted surface.

Here is a link that might be useful: GARAGE FLOOR PAINT

o

Thank You very much for the info. I'll try to talk my husband into it now!

o

Good luck with your project! It sounds like fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: garage floor paint

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here