Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sears GDO

Posted by billy_barker (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 10 at 20:19

I have a Sears 3/4 hp GDO that is approximately 5 years old. It hasn't ben working for the last year or so. It was doing some extra work due to a door alignment problem. I also had a wiring issue that I figured out by taping the safety sensors together (yes, for diagnositc purpose only!). Before I went through the trouble of replacing the wiring and remounting/adjusting the chain I decided to push to open button on the wall switch. The motor starts and runs for 3-4 seconds in the counter clockwise direction and then reverses direction for the same 3-4 seconds. I expected it to run for the usual 7-10 seconds and then stop. This doesn't seem normal, does it? Do I perhaps have another problem? I did check the internal gears and they all seem fine with plenty of grease etc. This site has excellent posts regarding GDOs and I have already learned a lot. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sears GDO

If the main light flashes 10 times when the door reverses you still have a door sensor problem.

If it doesn't then your problem is most likely the RPM sensor board which is a small printed circuit just in front of the motor. First make sure the black plastic interrupter cup is on the end of the motor shaft and is pressed all the way on. That too can cause your problem.

o
RE: Sears GDO

Don,

Thanks so much for the speedy reply - I'll give it a shot. I saw the RPM sensor, just didn't know what it was for. I did spin it a few time, but didn't notice if it was inserted all the way. I will post what I found.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here