Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garage door springs with no safety cable

Posted by w0lley32 (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 10 at 18:47

Hi! A friend of mine recently had a new house built, and his two garage doors (installed by the builder) don't have a cable that goes through the springs to prevent them to swing back and forth in the event that a spring breaks or comes loose (as it already happened twice) but luckily for him the cable snagged on the track so nobody was injured.

I think the Canadian building code requires such safety cable, but when he told that to the builder, he laughed at him. Could you please tell me if it is indeed required by code, and knowing the exact article would be appreciated, as he will be able to go to the library and show the code to the builder. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garage door springs with no safety cable

The safety cables are inexpensive and easy to install. It'll probably much more satisfying to install them as a DIY job that getting the contractor to do his job.

o

Thanks for your answer. I agree with you that cables are inexpensive and easy to install, but my friend and I think that when you pay half a million dollars for a brand new house, it should meet code in all aspects, and it shouldn't be up to the buyer to fix the missing safety cables on the garage doors, the water pouring through the patio door every time it rains, the too small egc (used #6 awg on a 200 amp service), the 5X8 kitchen island with no electrical outlets or the main floor toilet that needs a plunge everytime he uses it.

So could you please tell me if the cables are required by code or not? Thanks.

o

"So could you please tell me if the cables are required by code or not? "

Try looking it up.

o

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Canadian codes.
IMHO, with the apparent attitude of the builder, the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction, i.e. building inspector's office) should be contacted to look at problems that have been found and look for any others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garages/Workshops Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here