Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vastine_gw

Craftsman garage door opener problems. What else!

vastine
17 years ago

I have read a lot of the post on this forum. I see lots of people have the same problem. I changed batteries a few years ago, and nothing has been the same since. I didn't think it was the remotes, because both worked fine before i changed batteries and neither worked consistently after. I finally broke down and bought a new remote today. No difference. Homelink remote in my Maxima works great. The old remotes would work sometimes and sometimes you had to drive right up to the door and press and press to get it to work and sometimes you had to get out and press the doorbell switch. I programed the new remote and it won't work from outside the garage until you hold it over your head and one foot from the door. I then reconnected a piece of uninsulated galvanized wire that i had connected to the end of the antenna several years ago, and the remote worked from a distance of about 25 to 30 feet, but i'm afraid it won't work consistently once i put it in the car. (Like I said, I've used this extension wire deal many times before, and it seems to work okay for a few days, then everything goes back to hit and miss as described above.) I probably should have mentioned already that my garage is actually a metal pole building. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve my results. My wife drives the car that needs the craftsman remote, so i would really like to fix this so she will stop complaining. Since the wire antenna extension seemed to help, maybe you have some advice on what type of wire to use, length of wire, position, etc., or anything. thanks

Comments (3)

• ttugrad95
    17 years ago

This is a longshot but try re-"learning" the remote by clearing all codes from the opener and making it learn the remote again. Maybe the battery replacement did something to the code sequence or something. I dunno, can't hurt and its worth a shot.

• laurence_2006
    17 years ago

Can someone help please. I live in the UK and brought home a Sears/Craftsman garage door opener in 1990. The model number is 139.53612 1/2 HP. The outside touch code transmitter has stopped working after I recently had to replace the gear and sprocket and worm gear nylon parts ( after 15 years). I had the power off for two months while I obtained the spares from the USA as we cannot get Sears spares here. All the wall buttons (two off) and two car remote transmitters work but the wall touch code transmitter has stopped working. It only has the 9 digits on the face of the unit and no other buttons. It has a red light when it was working that came on when you punched the numbers in. This light does not come on now and the digits do not open the door. Does anyone know how to reprogramme the unit as my manual does not show this. The Touch code transimtter part number is 53716.

Thanks

laurie

• Don_
    17 years ago

Okay try this:

First unplug the garage door opener from the electrical outlet. Next, remove the nameplate from the console that the keypad plugs into and locate the program/operate switch. Flip the switch to program. Next, enter your desired four-digit PIN number into the keypad. Slide the switch back to operate, and plug the garage door opener back in. The keypad should be programmed.